Bread and butter pudding is my all time favourite pudding, warm out the oven served with custard, oh yum!
Usually you add a ton of raisins and cinnamon and nutmeg, or even chocolate and marmalade, but as Panettone already has all the good stuff baked into it its already done for you.
This is a really easy, crowd pleasing dish that can be flavoured with pretty much anything you want, then after the dinner party its perfect by the fire while you indulge in a me moment.
One large Panettone
50g of butter
700ml of milk*
120ml of cream**
50g of granulated sugar
*Preferably full fat, but we used semi skinned and it worked out fine
**preferably double but we used brandy cream leftover from Christmas and the little hint of brandy was a lovely addition
1. Pre heat your oven at 180°c
2. Slice up your Panettone into slices the size of your average slice of bread, butter and than than arrange them all neatly into a ovenproof dish. Don’t be afraid to pack them in tightly it helps for a better pud.
3. Heat up your milk and cream slowly, you want it to be almost boiling hot but don’t boil it.
4. While that’s heating up whisk together your 4 eggs and sugar.
5. Whisk in your hot milk and cream into the eggs and then pour over the bread.
6. Put in the oven for around 30 to 40 minute.