I love pasta, i also love venison.
And after a week spent as a vegan i thought we would treat ourselves to something a little special, so venison ragu with pasta it was.
This dish is rich with red wine and feels like a warming hug on a cold winters day, and as you’re using a leaner meat, this is under 500 calories per serving.
I do suggest crusty fresh bread with lots of butter to wipe your plate clean though.
300g of Venison mince*
240g of Pasta – I used Paccheri Rigati tubes, you want something big
1 Onion, chopped
2 rashers of bacon, snipped into lardons
2 Garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 Cinnamon stick or a pinch of ground cinnamon
2 Glasses of red wine
3 Tbsp tomato purée
1 Tbsp of Olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
Parmesan to top
*You could use chunks if you’d prefer but this would increase the cooking time for around a hour
1. In the oil fry your bacon and onion on a medium to high heat until the onion is golden.
2. Add the venison, garlic, cinnamon, cloves and salt & pepper, cook until the venison browns.
3. Add the wine, letting it simmer for a few moments until the alcohol cooks out then add the tomato puree.
4. Turn down the heat a little and let simmer for a hour.
5. Just before serving cook your pasta, add it to the ragu and serve.