Did you know it’s national pie week? Me either, but hey, I’m all for any event that allows for pie.
Being the northern lass that i am, pie is a staple of ny diet, savory and sweet.
It’s weird because when i think about it, it literally plays a part in so many of my memories.
Every big family event growing up was catered with pie and peas. One of the 4 dishes my grandad would make us in rotation was pie and chips, and every football game i went to for the 4, 5 years i held a season ticket at Burnley football club, was enjoyed with a good ol’ Hollands pie.
With all this love of pies, there’s pretty much only 3 i eat. Cheese and onion, meat and potato or steak and ale. Yes they are the best 3, but i wanted to mix it up a little and try something new.
As i have slight fear of chicken in pie i thought I’d veg up a chicken pie recipe and here’s the result.
You can still add chicken, or make this vegan by using non dairy butter and milk, either way you won’t be disappointed.
1 tbsp olive oil
2 medium leeks
500 g Chestnut mushrooms
1 tbsp butter
2 tbsp plain flour
350 ml milk
1 tbsp mustard
1tbsp of mixed herbs
1 roll of puff pastry
1. Chop your leeks and mushrooms.
2. Grab a large pan and let warm up on a medium to high heat. Add the oil and the leeks and fry for around 5 minutes. Add your mushrooms, mixed herbs and a little salt and pepper, turn down the heat a little and cook for another 5 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt the butter on medium heat. Add the flour and stir until combined. Slowly add in the milk, mixing with a whisk as you do, until you have a smooth thick mixture. Add the mustard and salt and pepper to taste.
4. Add your leeks and mushrooms into the white sauce, mix and let cool.
5. Pre heat your oven at 200°c, put your pie mix in a oven safe pie dish and top with the puff pastry. Brush with milk or egg wash, then pop in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes.