Here’s a dish i discovered while i was doing my veg pledge for cancer research in November. It’s really tasty and something we’ve eaten again since. It also has very few ingredients and can be fairly easily adapted, I’ve added a substitutes list under the ingredients to help point you in the right direction.
Serves 5/6 depending on the size of your aubergine
1 carton/jar of passata (around 500ml)
500g of spaghetti
Mixed Italian herbs
1 ball of mozzarella
If you don’t have mixed Italian herbs use basil or oregano or both.
You can use the hard mozzarella or and kind of cheese really, melty cheeses if you do have them though.
If you cant get panko breadcrumbs, put stale bread in the blender, no stale bread put some in your oven, whizz up into breadcrumbs.
If you cant get a aubergine you could try mushroom, I’d only bake for 10 minutes for the first bake though.
1. Grab 2 bowls, in one crack your egg and beat with a fork until mixed, in the second put your breadcrumbs and some of your herbs.
2. Cut your aubergine into half inch rounds, aiming for 10 to 12 slices. Then one at a time dip each piece into the egg, then the breadcrumbs, making sure they’re fully coated.
3. Place on a tray and bake in the oven for around 20 minutes at 180°.
4. Take out your aubergine and leave to the side for a moment. Grab a baking dish and pour in some of the passata, just covering the bottom of the dish.
5. Place half the aubergine in the bottom of the dish, spoon a tablespoon or two of passata over each aubergine, a sprinkle of herbs then a slice of mozzarella. Then repeat, adding another spoonful of sauce on the tops, giving you 5/6 little stacks.
6. Put back in the oven for around 15 to 20 minutes.
7. Whilst that’s in the oven cook your pasta.